The Deaf Nod and The Lakota Pause

Not that I've experienced both at once. No, so far, the two have been exercised separately. Today, I was most privileged to witness both.

The Lakota Pause

A lovely Lakota woman from the Kyle, SD area paused significantly after being asked a question. It was a meaningful question. What did she feel when thinking about a certain Lakota word? ... ... ... ... wait for it... ... ... yup, hold on ... ... ... ... you're fine, just breathe ... ... ... ... think about the word, practice it silently ... ... ... ... really, you're not gonna die, just breathe ... ... ... ... her profound response. Wow, that was worth the wait. Those who value truth and wisdom... yeah, it's always worth the wait.

The Deaf Nod

My new friend and I met the most charming gentleman today - an older, Deaf, Lakota man near Porcupine, SD. He brings life to his own sign language. We could see that as he regaled us with story after story, and we couldn't help but fall in love with him. As we journeyed together, I noticed the Deaf nod a time or two. The Deaf nod is a gracious acknowledgment that you've signed something, but it's not clearly understood. I'm grateful for his taking pity on me, and we can't wait to visit again.

Comments